Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Confession: I am a lister

Confession: I am a lister.

I can't function without them.

Right now I'm working off of three lists.  And if I'm going to be perfectly honest I guess I'll have to admit that I just started a fourth about an hour ago.


Lists purge my brain.  They organize me.  They help me remember the small details that will matter and the random items.

I can sleep at night because I know it's all safe on my list and I don't have to worry about forgetting any of it or keeping it all straight. 

Perhaps this plays into my slight OCD nature?  Or maybe it's just because I have 6 kids and a very full life? 

I even have a list that started at Thanksgiving that listed all the events I needed to plan for.  It keeps me from forgetting anything now that we're in the middle of birthday season.
Thanksgiving (hosted at my house)
West's birthday
Christmas (all three stages of it)
Jayme's birthday
New Year's
Anniversary
Cali's birthday
Valentine's day
Florida trip
Casidee's birthday
Easter
Tayler's birthday
Family Reunion

Now that I know that the trip to Florida for my brother's wedding and Casidee's birthday are all on lists and under control, I started a list for Easter. 

It's not that I'm an over achiever, it's just that it takes me this long to feel I have a grasp on the next situation in line.  I list and re-list until I'm satisfied with the details and the "to do" and the "to buy" parts.  When it gets closer I start assigning days to get the tasks done.  Then I know it will all happen without running out of time. 

Sometimes I make lists on a spreadsheet on the computer and print them out, but I usually only do this when it involves the circus packing for a trip.  I make the packing list, add the names, and then they can color in the box under their name when they've packed that item.  It works so well.  It also helps me to see what laundry needs to be done so they can finish packing :).  I love taking the guess work out of life.

I guess perhaps the next perfect stranger who says to me, "you sure do have your hands full! How ever do you do it?"  I could just simply answer,
"I make a list."

3 comments:

Jamie Newman said...

I thought you had 6 kids :) I'm a list-maker too!

The Circus said...

bwahahahaha... this only proves how much I need help.

Gingerstar.kw said...

I LOVE that you make lists! I tend to be a list-maker, though not to the extent that YOU do it. I actually need to be better at my list making, or keep a notepad by my bed. I usually make mental lists of things I need to do the next day just before bed, but it makes it hard to sleep, because I am so worried I will forget in the morning.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...