I know, it's about time, since we hold six a year.
I'm not against parties that take effort. I'm not against having a party budget and letting the kids pick an activity. Heaven knows we've done it all when it comes to birthdays (here). But this year Tayler's birthday fell smack dab in the middle of chaos. I graduated, we went to Moab, she spent a couple weekends in a row with her dad, Mother's day...
So a month later I figured I'd better let her do it already. Even though life still felt chaotic.
Here's some tips that I've found work for me in keeping a party fun for the kids, but low key and low budget for me as the parent.
Tip #1 keep that puppy at an hour and half. I've found it gives the kids just enough time to feel they had fun, but it doesn't over extend my patients and ability to keep the entertained.
Tip #2 have some easy, simple group games on the agenda. Games that the kids, given they're old enough, can conduct themselves.
We have a couple up our sleeves. The first being the candybar wrap which I posted here.
Another easy game is the M&M suck.
Simply fill a bowl with a large bag of M&M's, pass out straws, and when they roll doubles (or any combination of your choice) they start sucking the M&M's out of the bowl with the straw. The suction on the straw holds the candy on the end of the straw while they draw it out and let it fall into a pile in front of them.
Never underestimate silly string. And most likely you can stock up on this stuff at the dollar store. We just armed them with cans and sent them out into the yard.
The part the kids bragged about to their parents when they got home?
Silly sting.
The part they're still talking about a week later?
Silly string.
Another game that we have up our sleeve is the Skittles game. Buy a large bag (or two) of Skittles and open it up. Without looking you draw two skittles out of the bag. If they're the same color, you eat them. If they're not, you hold them in your mouth. As the game progresses mouths begin to get full. If you draw two of the same color you get to chew everything in your mouth UNTIL the next person draws two of the same color. Then you have to stop chewing. People can quit when they want. Winner is the last one to quit.
Hopefully those games will help you when you're in a pinch. They've been a huge success with our Circus.
No comments:
Post a Comment