I was trying to make a new enchilada recipe last night. I get tired of the same ol' stuff, probably too quickly. If I could be content to eat the same things over and over for the rest of my life my evenings would probably be a lot easier.
I was trying to make a new enchilada recipe last night so dinner was taking a little more concentration than it usually does for me. I can't cook without a recipe to follow. I have no culinary imagination whatsoever. I really like food, but you have to tell me what to do with it. I can't pull tasty dinners out of thin air, someone else has to do that part for me.
I had my nose in a cookbook while I measured and combined, sizzled and stirred.
All the while Cali was bouncing around me, her 7 year old thoughts spilling out of her mouth in a constant stream of chatter. I supplied her with appropriate responses in between reading lines from the page of the cookbook.
"Um hum."
Where's my 1/2 tsp at?
"That's great."
Did I buy another jar of salsa or is this all I really have left?
"Okay."
West hates cilantro. I better just leave that out.
Cali asks me what time it is. She had just received a Justin Bieber watch from her dad and she was peering at it on her wrist.
"You tell me. What does your watch say?"
How much bulk taco seasoning do I measure out when it calls for one packet?
She peers at it more closely. "I'm not sure it has the right time."
I look at the clock on the stove. "It's 6:12. Cali, do you know how to tell time on your watch?"
"No." And she giggled. But she doesn't ever take it off.
I was trying to make a new enchilada recipe last night, when Brynn needed help making the new printer print pictures for her book report project.
"Can you help me Mom?"
It says to cut the chicken but I think I'd rather just shred it.
"What's wrong?"
"The printer won't print."
"You'll have to ask Dad to help you."
"He says he needs to put the new printer on the computer still. Can I use your laptop to do it?"
No, I'm pretty sure I did buy more salsa. Maybe it's in the pantry.
"Sure."
"How do I do it?"
I wonder if West will like that this has ricotta cheese in it. Where is the ricotta cheese?
"You have to find the Print Master icon on the desktop."
"Okay."
"West? Did you throw a container of ricotta cheese out?"
There it is. He hid it in the fridge door.
Grocery shopping had happened last weekend, which meant that the fridge got cleaned out and rearranged to make room for new food. (And the fact that something smelled a little off was a good push to clean things out as well). Usually I take care of it, but since we didn't have kids, or much of anything else going on, The Man helped me. Now I wasn't sure where certain things were any more.
I was trying to make a new enchilada recipe last night, when Cas asked me if I was going to go running.
Did I buy Monterey Jack cheese or was I just planning on using the Colby Jack we already have. Is there even a difference? They both have Jack in them, I'm sure it's close enough to the same thing.
"Yes, I need to get started on running."
"Can I go with you?"
"Sure, I'm only going to run a mile tonight, I bet you can do it."
An egg? Weird.
Cali, who is still bouncing around me pipes in with, "I want to go too! I'll ride my bike while you run."
They did that with me last year, riding their bikes with me while I ran. It's kind of nice knowing that they're there with me. And I don't feel guilty leaving them after I haven't seen them all day with work and school.
Cas and Cali did go with me on the run last night, and that Casidee was a head of me the entire time. that girl can run. She has plans of being on the track team in Middle School, I think she's going to rock it.
I was trying to make a new enchilada recipe last night. I was hoping, as I added the ingredients all together that it would taste good. I hate when I anticipate that a new recipe is going to taste yummy, and then it doesn't so much. Doesn't that defeat the whole point of making new recipes? Getting something yummy instead of the same ol' stuff that you've been eating? With all the digression that was happening while I was trying to make them, I began to worry that it wouldn't be good.
But they were.
And along the way Cali learned how to read her watch.
Brynn learned how to use Printmaster on the laptop.
Cas kicked my butt on a mile run (while it was in the oven).
Take that new enchilada recipe.
1 comment:
Ha! I tried a new enchilada recipe on Friday... though I didn't use a cookbook, I just made it up myself. Slow cooked all the inside stuff (chicken, seasonings, green chilis, you know the stuff...) all afternoon then just had to fill the tortilla's really quickly and bake until the red sause was hot and cheese was melted. They were pretty darn tasty. :)
Post a Comment