First, let me say that the apologies don't really count when they're covered with enabling excuses. I know you were in a car accident. That happened 30 years ago. I know you had breast cancer. That happened 13 years ago.
Maybe I don't understand.
But let me tell you what you don't understand.
I remember my high school boyfriend finding your pills in my jacket pocket and looking at me angrily. Until I had to explain to him that the only reason they were there in my pocket, was simply so you couldn't find them.
I remember coming home after a date to popcorn spilled all over the floor, and knowing that you had simply just stumbled from the couch to your bed, not caring or perhaps not comprehending the mess you were creating.
I remember you trying to talk to my friends. In slurs and fragmented sentences. And the drift that was created between my brother and me because I stopped bringing my friends home, and thus stopped being home.I remember coming home after a date and telling you I was home. You were in bed but asked me about my night and we would stumble through a 15 minute conversation. Only to have you scold me the next morning for not checking in when I got home. You didn't remember anything about our conversation.
I remember the letter you tried to write me... that was nothing but scribbles and illegible words. Until it finally just dropped off.
As an adult I remember taking my brand new baby to visit you. And as you held her you weaved and stumbled. And the got angry and threw a fit when we took her away from you.And how you faked the seizures in the kitchen until we hauled you off to the hospital. What you don't know is that Dad and I took the E.R. doctor aside and told him of your medication problem. He said he wouldn't give you anything that would "affect" you. But once you knew you had your medicine, you started you started acting "loopy". Being flippant with the nurses and calling loudly across the hall at the doctor. When my 8 month pregnant body screamed for bed, I don't remember the degrading remarks you made to me for leaving, but I remember they were made. And I remember how embarrassed Dad was by them.
Every conversation was slurred. And full of chronic diseases. And I finally stopped answering your calls.
And now you need a place to live. With a pending neck surgery and a bag full of pills. And I don't think I can do it. I can't have my circus watching it. I can't have them living it. I can't listen to your excuses as to why we should all put up with it. I can't listen to the apologies that are nothing but "feel bad for me's". I can't feel bad for. I'm too hurt myself.
I'm too hurt that the pills take precedent to your family. I'm too hurt that I raised myself, with Dad being at the fire station and you...
I'm too hurt that I can't handle a conversation deeper than the latest mod podge project.
And I'm too hurt to bring it into my home now. I'm sorry, but there are some things that medicine can't fix.
And no one can fix this but you.
And no one can fix this but you.
10 comments:
I am so sorry about this. I can see that you have a beautiful family, and that you are a great person.
Do what is best for you. My parents were very damaging, and 3 years ago I decided to cut them out of my life. It was hard, I lost a lot in the deal....but I am better because I did what was best, and my little family deserved it.
Good luck. Beautiful post.
you don't know me, but my friend sent me a link.
this is a beautiful post, and honestly something i needed to read. after four years of medical issues (brain tumor, brain surgery, hysterectomy) i've been on percocet the whole time. eventually coming to the point where i not only needed it to manage the pain, but where i need it to simply make it through my morning.
i have started weaning off my meds, going through the withdrawals, telling myself that i want to be 'clean'. it started innocently, but i know it could turn in to something so much more damaging to me, my husband and my 20 month old son.
your post has given me more strength and desire to rid my life of these medications.
you are an inspiration to me. i mean that so sincerely.
you are a beautiful person.
You are SO GOOD! And I admire your honesty. I wrote similar letter to my mom when she was in jail, except hers was men and alcohol and I thank my lucky stars everyday that I didn't have to witness more than I did. And that I cut my biological dad out 8 years ago, it was to protect my boys, that is our only priority is our children even if it wasn't our mothers.....
Having safe boundaries from people who are emotionally unsafe is a sign of true wisdom. Brave and courageous, that's what you are. How blessed your children are to have a mom with those traits.
Oh Steph. No words can express how I felt reading this post except, I LOVE YOU!! You are such an inspiration to me of how a mother should be. Thank you for showing me that. Hugs to you my friend.
Steph,
I know we hardly know each other, but you never know how much posts like this may touch someone. I divorced my husband because he was an alcoholic pill-popper. During our relationship I gradually withdrew from my friends (and family somewhat too) out of shame and embarrassment. The last straw for me was when he got drunk and left our 22 month old son home alone, sleeping in his crib, with the oven on and a pizza burning inside of it. It took me 3 years to let go of the guilt and resentment for kicking him out. He has gone further downhill and is currently homeless, but I stayed strong and refused to let him damage my life anymore. YES, your kids and you should come first.
Stacy
Always know that you have a huge support system here. Love you so much.
one word for you is all that is needed....AMAZING! I have told you many times over what an example you are and this here just proves that! Prayers coming your way.
Stephanie...I was always so ignorant to your challenges. You have always been so strong. I love you so much. And I'm so sorry I wasn't more supportive! I'm proud of the person you are, and the amazing mother you are! I'm sorry for what you've gone through...and glad that you're choosing to not have your family go through it too. You are wonderful. I've always admired you for doing what needs to be done, whether it is easy or not. I think you are amazing. Love ya. Audrey
Post a Comment