Monday, May 14, 2012

spaghetti dinner... to go

This year's Camp fundraiser was a huge success.  All in thanks to one woman in particular, whom I simply know as "Julie's Mom."

This year is a ward camp, which means we get to do a fundraiser.  It's become a tradition for our ward to do a spaghetti dinner ($5 individual, $9 for a couple, $15 for families) with a silent auction.  Ward members donate all sorts of items and baked goods, and then we show up, pay for dinner (which is always fabulous) and start bidding on the stuff that was donated.

This year two men in our ward "donated" a river rafting trip down the Snake River.  They are both extreme outdoors men and have their own rafts.  This is were Julie's Mom comes in.  There were 12 spots available, and she donated generously to win all 12 spots. 

We'll be eating good at camp this year, thanks to Julie's Mom.

Our family walked away with a bunch (and I mean a bunch) of beenie babies.  The girls just lingered around them the whole time, outbidding each other.  I got a bag to hold my growing amount of sewing supplies and some wonderful homemade 9 grain bread.  And I'm pretty sure that Whitney can make me snickerdoodles anytime because they were melt in my mouth good.  Sean scored some Sea Monkeys.  Did you know those are real things?  I thought they were fake. 

I was wrong.

I'll have to see if I can get a picture of them.  West thinks their actually brine shrimp.  Does anyone know?  I guess I can always google it...

These were our family's contribution:
Giant Value cupcakes (you can learn about what the Young Women's Values here).
Faith
Divine Nature
Individual Worth
Knowledge
Choice and Accountability
Good Works
Integrity
Virtue
 The best part was when it was all said and done, and Cas and I were in the church's kitchen cleaning up all the left over food with other Young Women's leaders, and we start talking:
So and so wasn't feeling well today we should make up a dinner box for them.
How many people are living with so and so right now?  Let's get them a dinner box.
Did so and so take some of this home?  We should take a little more over to them.
There are new neighbor's over on that street, we should take a dinner box to them to welcome them.

And so it goes, all the while we're putting left over sauce in canning jars and packing salad and breadsticks into giant baggies and building boxes of spaghetti dinners to go for the people in our neighborhood.

I love that feeling.

And of course, as it goes, we got told, "you have six kids, you better take a box of breadsticks."  It doesn't matter what's leftover, some of it is usually sent to our house because "you have six kids."  Those boxes of breadsticks were giant, there were at least 50 breadsticks in them.  There was no way would could ever eat them all, but we sure tried.

I love that Cas got to be a part of this.  To learn what it is to be a humanitarian and look out for the people who surround you.  I look forward to each of our kids coming to be a part of these moments.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...