We knew we were going to be in St. George the week after father's day, so we told Grandpa Dick we'd hang out with him then.
And we were so excited to do it. Four days of Grandpa Dick?
Yes please!
My dad has a current obsession with pretzels.
So we hooked him up with something a little extra.
We had a very busy four days in St. George, and I'll start all the stories for that tomorrow. Today I want to say a little something about my dad, even if it is a little late for father's day.
The only way I can describe to you the relationship I have with this man is to tell you to listen to this song:
It brings tears to my eyes every time.
He is my dad.
He is the one I turn to when I have good news and I'm just going to bust if I don't tell someone.
He is the one I turn to when I have bad news and I'm crushed.
He is the one I turn to when I just don't know.
He is the one I turn to when I have a plan and need to run it by someone.
He is the one.
I may not have his brown eyes.
But I have his love of warmer weather.
I may not have his nose.
But I have his obsession of all things sweet.
I may not have his musical ability.
But I have his need to find a good deal before purchasing something.
I may not have his laugh.
But I have his uncanny sarcasim and wit.
He was at every school program. Every choir performance, every school play, every home water polo game.
He was there while I was learning to drive. Something that I absolutely could not do with my mom.
My childhood is full of memories of being on the sailboat on The Great Salt Lake, or Bear Lake, or Rockport. It's full of being over cautious with fire safety on the 4th of July, and then haphazardly burning the christmas tree. It's full of his guitar around the campfire. And the harmless pranks we'd play on each other.
I loved spending time at the fire station with him on the holidays he had to work.
He taught me how to grill a mean steak.
He took my bedroom door away when I slammed it.
He didn't get mad at me when I broke a window.
He always saved me when my cars would break down.
I may not have his genes.
But he is my dad.


2 comments:
Love this. And love Uncle Dick.
He is a very good man. I count myself lucky for having him in my life.
Post a Comment