There's something about having been both a stay-at-home and a working mom to make me appreciate the pros and cons of each "job." To know the effort that goes into the expectations of each.
I took so much time off the past two weeks with all of the holiday fun, including Jayme's birthday and our anniversary on New Year's Eve, that by last night I had completely slipped back into stay-at-home mode.
I was scrubbing the house and keeping up with not only the daily mess of six kids, but the construction mess of one husband as he worked on our house remodel.
Last night I was satisfied.
But all good things must come to end.
That's what makes them good, the fact that we don't always have them. If we always had them we'd take them for granted and they'd lose their goodness to us. They would become ordinary, common place, routine.
Last night I relished in my stay-at-home time of the past weeks.
I woke up this morning satisfied and refreshed with my time off and ready to hit the ordinary, the common place, and the routine.
I was ready for it.
It's not so bad really.
I haven't set any resolutions this year. I never really do.
When I feel I want to make a change, I do it, whether it be in January, or June.
I do have some personal goals set, but I hate to call them resolutions.
Resolutions never happen and it almost feels so cliche that I don't want to admit that I have them.
But I feel the want of change, even if it does happen to be at the break of a new year.
So without claiming that I've made resolutions for the new year, I will say that I plan on focusing more on learning about my Savior this year.
And I plan on being more true to my flylady schedule, because let's face it, with work, school, and half a dozen kids, I need that schedule to help me keep up with my housework.
I can't shake that expectation of myself.
This week I'll post before and after pictures of our bathroom (finally, I know), the project that started it all. And I'll post pictures of the transformation of the main floor as we painted the walls and replaced the flooring. It doesn't even look like the same house anymore.
Though the pink counter tops are still there. Taunting me.
On New Year's Eve I celebrated 3 years with The Man.
I said, "I feel like we should be celebrating longer than 3 years."
He said, "we're celebrating that I still want to be with you."
Can't argue with that logic.
I am so in love with him.
He gave me a beautiful rose and a gift card to go shopping at my favorite store.
I gave him... Taco Bell for lunch.
The Man likes what he likes.
We rung in the new year eating way too much food and playing game after game with our circus.
Or 2/3 of The Circus anyway.
Casidee and Jayme got invited to a party.
The clock hit midnight and we were out in the icy cold yelling and cheering as the kids ran around in the snow with sparklers.
Fireworks were booming in the sky over our head and snow was softly, lightly falling.
And then The Man came out with our surprise for them.
We won't mention that he lit it in the house.
I was sitting on the frozen porch steps, lighting sparklers for the kids and we heard behind us, "boom boom boom!"
I turned around and saw the flaming lantern in the window of the door.
"Hurry and open the door for Dad!"
Once he was out in the frozen air he let the lantern go and it softly floated up above our heads.
I watched that lantern for a bit.
But by the time the sparklers were fizzled out and done, I was ready to high tail it to bed.
2012 was pretty decent to us.
I suspect 2013 will be as well.
I suspect we'll make more strides with the house.
I suspect we'll visit some place new.
I suspect I'll tackle a good portion of my general ed.
I suspect West will progress in a way he wants with his work.
I suspect The Circus will continue to join new things and find new talents and keep us busy in life.
I suspect that my life will continue to be better than I deserve.
No comments:
Post a Comment